Pages

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

First Things First...

The first and most important thing you need to know about me is that I am absolutely obsessed with patterns and color, especially when derived from nature or organic shapes. Lilly, Vera, you name it, I've got it! When I go to work or class I bring my printed laptop case and purse and then, of course, you take into account my floral wallet, checkbook cover, and pens inside the bag. And that's when I realize how truly pathetic I am! A few semesters ago I took a color theory course. The course long project was open to interpretation with the minimal guidelines of combining one of six color schemes with one of 6 words to create a set of cohesive posters.  As soon as this was assigned I knew exactly what I was going to do.  PATTERNS! Now obviously this was the project created especially for me! I had found my chance to finally step into the pattern limelight!  






1. BEAUTY: Color Scheme - Complementary  
This piece is by far my favorite. However, this may have something to do to my rather fond attachment to the color purple. It is by far the most realistic of the set and lacks some of the hand drawn/painted quality the others possess. This allows the color fields in the pansies to blend which I quite enjoy.   (SPOILER ALERT! Remember this piece! It may appear again...)





2. STOIC: Color Scheme - Neutrals
I chose dried leaves as the subject of this piece for several reasons.  There is a strange beauty in the way that leaves dry even after they lose their color.  I also found the sound they make ticking across pavement fit appropriately with the hardness associated with the term stoic.  




3. FRESH: Color Scheme - Analogous 
Fresh brought bright colors and plenty of energy to the set.  I incorporated several layers of citrus fruits.  I know its probably the most literal interpretation of the word fresh, using citrus. But in true Lilly style, I just couldn't resist!  This process was the most adventurous of the group but I'm in love with the depth it creates!




4. DYNAMIC: Color Scheme - Split Complementary
I was drawn to the chaos a carnation's silhouette makes for this piece.  I paired it with arrows and a bold scheme to create more movement and tension.  




5. QUIET: Color Scheme - Tints
Now the patterns above are far from quite and tinting down any of them wouldn't exactly help.  Hence I faced the challenge of creating a patterned piece in which the pattern wasn't screaming for attention like most patterns do. After a bit of problem solving I chose the route of working at a larger scale. In addition I got pretty literal, choosing water as the subject as I did with Fresh.




6. ORGANIC: Color Scheme - Tertiary Triad
The final piece in the set. Blue-Green, Yellow-Orange, and red-violet combine to create a lively beach setting.  This one incorporates the most hand drawn details and features the only original font created by moi! 



If you have fallen in love with any of the above pattern download the


Now a big part of this project was presentation.  We presented each study individually and then as the grand finale, had to present them as a set.  A t-shirt featuring one piece was also required however it was not expected to be used in the final show.  Now instead of doing one t-shirt I got a little crazy and did them all...


color theory show, deans lounge.  Fall '11


Although I opted out of getting them professionally printed and instead went with the DIY iron process, I still quite like how they complete the set.  For future reference I would never suggest ironing on patterns, ever (it's a real pain in the ass), unless you got get transfer paper that was larger than 8.5 x 11. 

I guess that about wraps up my first post at Creative Victories.  I hope you all enjoyed it! Look forward to some logo work and DIY hair coloring in the next few weeks. Already want more? You can visit me at California Paints where I discuss interior and color trends as well as get a bit paint techy! 


No comments:

Post a Comment